- Surgical Oncology is a disease based discipline
- Surgical Oncologist: oncologist who performs cancer surgery
- Part of the multidisciplinary team
- Deals with management of cancer
Oncological surgery includes surgeries to
- obtain tissue diagnosis (biopsies)
- treatment of cancer and cancer-like masses
- Mch (Surgical Oncology)- has been allotted with 3 Mch Surgical oncology seats from academic year 2023-24 by NMC.
- Head and neck cancers: cancers of the buccal mucosa, tongue, larynx, hypopharynx and thyroid including free flap reconstruction in collaboration with plastic surgery team.
- Breast cancers: both early and locally advanced breast cancers with special interest in breast conservative surgeries.
- Lung cancers and mediastinal tumours
- Gastrointestinal cancers including esophageal, stomach, colorectal, small bowel cancers and hepatobiliary cancers
- Soft tissue sarcomas and retroperitoneal sarcomas including multi visceral resections.
- Orthopaedic malignancies with limb salvage procedures.
- Gynecological cancers involving the ovaries, uterus, cervix and vulva with special interest in cytoreductive surgeries with HIPEC.
- Urological cancers involving kidney, ureter, bladder, prostate and penis.